These wraps contain two of my favorite veggies ever.
I say a lot of things are my favorite, but it’s true! It’s also true that if you love everything, then you don’t love anything. Trust me, there are a lot of foods I can’t stand. I just don’t want to talk about them right now because I’d like to tell you about these instead.
That bright red filling is made of shredded Brussels sprouts and beets. I like to make a sort of hash out of them for dinner and scoop it up with flatbread. That’s rather messy, so I decided to roll them up into neat little packages. You can make several of these at once, which is good for a few days worth of salad lunches.
The citrus dip is the easiest thing ever. Just throw everything in the blender and you’re done! It’s not vegan, but can be easily made so.
There are so many things you can do with sprouts. Here’s a list of goodies for all you Brussels sprouts lovers.
Ruby Wraps with Grapefruit Dip
for the wraps
- 2 medium beets
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt to taste
- 1 lb turnip greens (you won't use them all)
for the dipping sauce
- 1 avocado
- 1 1/2 cups grapefruit juice
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 medium-large garlic clove
- 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- salt to taste
- Shred the beets and the sprouts in your food processor. Work in batches if you must. (I had to).
- Coat a big sautee pan with non-stick spray, and bring to medium heat.
- Cook the beets & sprouts for about five minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Cook for 4 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle on the nutritional yeast.
- Let it cool a little bit and then sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Gently wash the turnip greens and pat them dry.
- Pick the fullest, greenest leaves. You'll need about 16. It's ok if they're different sizes. Just as long as they don't have any holes or brown spots, you're good.
- Place 1 - 2 tablespoons of the beet-sprout mix in the center of each leaf. Fold lengthwise then crosswise. For some of the bigger leaves, you might even be able to use 3 tbsp.
for the mix
- Put the avocado, grapefruit juice, sesame oil, garlic clove, fish sauce, chili powder, and honey in a blender till well combined. Taste and add salt if desired.
inspired by Spinach Tiger