fluffy, nutty, gluten free vegan chocolate chip pancakes are sure be become a Saturday morning staple
Oh gosh, I’m rather sorry to be posting to not-to-healthy recipes in a row, but Friday’s post will make up for that. Promise. Besides, I can’t really be all that sorry about pancakes, right? I mean, they’re pancakes.
Chocolate chip pancakes.
Gluten free vegan chocolate chip pancakes.
I’ve been working on a gluten free vegan chocolate chip pancake recipe for a long time. My mom makes the most amazing chocolate chip pancakes, so the bar was set really high. It’s difficult to match that Saturday morning childhood flavor, but I think I nailed it. In fact, going to straight up toot my own horn here and say that these taste even better than mama’s.
🚂 toot toot
Speaking of my mom, there’s plenty I inherited from her and plenty I didn’t. One of the things I inherited was her love — nay, obsession — with feeding people. I mean…. *gestures around to food blog*
One of those people is Jason. I’m always up before him on the weekends. It makes my heart happy to make a huge batch of pancakes and brew coffee, and then sneak upstairs. I’ll wake him up by telling him there’s warm syrup and chocolaty pancakes all ready, and he rolls out of bed all sleepy grins and cuddles.
And then the cat sniffs around, wanting to steal some melty licks from the tub of Earth Balance. I know I probably shouldn’t let her, but I do anyways. She’s the boss, so I put a little bit of it on a butter knife and let her lick it off. It’s pretty cute. Apparently she’s not the only one ’cause I found this cute video of this little gal goin’ to town.
It’s a good way to start the day, I’m telling ya.
this post contains affiliate links. purchasing through them helps support a lunkish husband and a mischievous cat.
products used in this post:
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour, 5 Pound
- 1 cup of barely sifted (but still sifted) GF flour
- 3/4 cup oat bran
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3-1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk
- 3/4 cup aquafaba
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- coconut oil for the pan
- Combine all dry ingredients, except for the chocolate chips
- In a separate bowl, combine all the wet ingredients
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones (aka scooping the dry ingredients into the wet ingredient bowl, not the other way around).
- Let the mix sit for 10-15 minutes
- Melt about 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Let the oil get nice and hot.
- Pour or scoop about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. When bubbles appear at the top of the batter, sprinkle chocolate chips over the batter.(about 3-4 min) Flip, allow to cook for another 2-3 min.
- Continue till all the batter is gone. You should have about 12 pancakes.
These pancakes get their wonderful nuttiness from oat bran. It does something magic to the gentle texture of the pancake. Aquafaba is the magic key to fluffy vegan pancakes.