Okay. I know what y’all are thinkin. “A boozy post on a Monday, Annie?”
Or maybe you’re thinking, “ugh yes, no other day needs hooch quite like a Monday does.”
Or maybe you’re not thinking any of those things and would like me to sthu and get on with the post.
The real reason that I posted these on a Monday is that I really enjoyed them, and I want you to enjoy them too. But while they’re certainly easy to make, they require time to freeze between layers and thus can’t be made minutes before the fiesta starts.
Other than the prep time, which is really just wait time (aka i-can-use-this-time-to-be-productive-time), these are stupid simple to make. If you’re a smoothie person, chances are you already have the key ingredients in your freezer already. You just need frozen fruit, limes, and some tequila. I know they’re not technically margaritas without the triple sec, but they are delicious anyways.
All you have to do is blend up the tequila with the frozen fruit, strain, pour, and then repeat with the next layer. How easy is that?
If you want, you can even substitute the stick for a straw and serve them as slushies instead of pops. That will actually cut down on the wait time a lot because you don’t have to linger waiting from them to be firm enough to shove a popsicle stick into.
These guys have a rather high alcohol content, which means they melt a little faster than a regular ice pop might. Make sure you serve them with a little cup or plate or SOMETHING underneath so that you don’t get sticky pop juice all over your cute almost-summer sundress.
Speaking of which, I am very much looking forward to summer because it’s absolutely my favorite season. It used to be fall, but something about the hot, sticky days makes me feel so energized and alive.
Also, our town farmer’s market opens next week, which means I can stuff my pie hole all summer long with the lushest produce ever. Summer tomatoes, guys! Let’s raise a glass (er, ice pop) to that, yes?
Mini Rainbow Margarita Ice Pops
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup frozen cherries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup tequila, divided
- a few tablespoons of sugar, optional
- Combine the blueberries and 1/4 cup of tequila in a blender. Strain to remove clunky solids and stir in a 1-2 tbsp sugar if desired. Divide mix among six shot glasses (I actually used mini red solo cups, but whatever you have on hand works)
- Allow the blueberry stuff to firm up a bit, and then add the popscicle sticks. Allow to freeze completely.
- Repeat step 1 with the cherries. This layer probably won’t need any sugar. Allow to freeze completely.
- Stir up the lime juice and remaining tequila. You’ll probably want to add 2 tbsp of sugar here. Pour over the cherry layer and allow to freeze.
- Makes 6 frozen shots. Enjoy responsibly 🙂