These blueberry bliss bars are soft and sweet and nutty. In the classic lazy baker method, they come together in a single bowl. GF, vegan, (paleo, I think) but no one has to know. Shhhh. Don’t think. Just bake.
A few months ago, y’all might recall I post a recipe for Simon Snow’s Sour Cherry Scones. These blueberry bliss bars are the pastry genesis of that recipe.
Allow me to explain.
(or simply scroll past the explanation to the recipe. I don’t blame ya)
Rainbow Rowell’s Fangirl is one of my favorite comfort books. I read it all the time, even if it’s just a bit here and a chapter there. Rowell’s Carry On, Simon came out of Fangirl (sort of). The fangirl in Fangirl snacked on blueberry bliss bars while writing Simon Snow fanfiction. Fanfiction Simon snacked on sour cherry scones. So blueberry bliss bars churned out the writing that churned out the scones.
Are you still with me?
Good. That explanation was complicated, but these bars are simple. One bowl kinda simple. Fewer dishes kinda simple. Your nana-made-it-with-a-lot-of-love kinda simple.
The bars are soft and sweet and nutty and melt magically in your mouth. If you adore a good blueberry muffin, you’ll love these.
They are made with almond flour. Almond flour is an occasional ingredient for me, as opposed to a regular ingredient. I love the taste (my mom says that almond flour makes everything fantastic), but it’s too pricey and rich for everyday use.
Books, however, are always cause for celebration.
Like warmer weather, and rain, and wildflowers and hot sweaty summers and almost being DONE with school. I still I have to take my Boards this summer, but for now, I’m ignoring my overpriced test prep texts in favor of other literature. Clearly.
Speaking of little bits of bliss, I still can’t get over Chewbacca lady. 💗
What small joys do you celebrate?
- 1/2 cup of very ripe mashed bananas (about 2 bananas)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- sesame seeds, optional
- Combine bananas, maple syrup, flax egg, apple cider vinegar, almond extract, salt, and cinnamon. Blend well.
- Stir in the almond flour, followed by the baking powder. Allow the batter to rest for about 5-7 minutes.
- While the batter is resting, preheat oven to 350 and line a 8 x 4 loaf pan with parchment.
- Place the batter in the loaf pan and smooth it out.
- Swirl just over half of the blueberries into the batter. Smooth it out again.
- Sprinkle the remaining blueberries over top of the batter. Sprinkle on sesame seeds if you wish.
- Bake for 55 min - 1 hour, until it's nice and golden. The middle may not turn gold.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Serve with love. makes 8-10 bars, depending on how you cut them.