It’s Monday! Here’s some chocolate, because I love y’all.
These sweet treats were inspired by the red wine hot chocolate that was making the Pinterest rounds in December. I didn’t see any of the pins myself, but I did watch Hannah Hart make it, so that’s kind of the same thing, right?
Speaking of Hannah Hart and her drunk kitchen, I might have ordered these pretty little chocolate molds while I was kinda tipsy. They were rather cheap, less than ten bucks for a set of three chocolate-mold trays…..but I forgot that we’re trying to save money right now. And when you’re trying to save money, chocolate molds are rather extraneous.
Anyways, if you don’t have chocolate molds, and you don’t feel like buying them just to stuff them in the back of your cupboard, you can still make these sweet treats. Just use silicone ice cube trays. Preferably mini silicone ice cube trays, but if you don’t have any, regular size will work. It just means bigger chocolates. 😀😀😀 Sure, the’re not going to come out looking like cute little roses and sunflowers, but they’re still gonna taste awesome.
Truth be told, I was always kind of intimidated of chocolate making because I am a notoriously messy person in the kitchen. I fully believed that candy making would be a laborious process with a laborious clean up involved…but I was so wrong. Tempering chocolate and pouring it into molds = easy. Pouring excess chocolate back into the tempering bowl = easy. Making red wine chocolate filling = easy!
Really. All I did was heat up some red wine until it was just hot to the touch. I didn’t want to burn off all the alcohol, thus negating the whole point of red wine stuffed chocolates. I soaked some dates in the warm wine until they were soft, and then pureed the whole thing in my trusty Nutribullet.
The filling was amazing and boozy and went wonderfully with the dark chocolate shell. No surprise there, of course. Red wine and dark chocolate are a classic combo. So if your gal or your fella is a chocolate lover and you want to make them something special for Valentines Day, this is totally it.
And if you and your boo don’t do Valentines or you’re just hangin’ with yourself right now, make these anyways. Because you’re awesome and you gotta celebrate that.
- 16 dates, chopped up
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup mini vegan chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Place the dates and the red wine in a small saucepan. Warm the wine till it's just hot to the touch and then turn off heat. Allow dates to soak for 20 minutes.
- Puree the dates together with the red wine until smooth. Stir in the cocoa powder. Allow the mix to cool.
- While the mix is cooling, temper to chocolate chips together with the coconut oil. Pour over the
- the interior walls of the chocolate mold, coating every crevice. You may need to pour the chocolate back out and pour it in again to make sure all surfaces are covered. You will still have chocolate left over to pour over the bottom of the chocolates.
- Allow chocolate to harden. I did this in my freezer, but be warned...this might cause white spots to appear on your chocolate. It didn't happen to me.
- Scoop the date-wine filling into a piping bag or a zip-seal bag. Cut the tip off and pipe into the prepared molds.
- Allow the filling to firm up a little bit in the fridge.
- Pour the remaining chocolate over the bottom of the molds, scraping with a spatula to coat completely.
- Allow to harden again.