BGE always keeps a bag of almonds in his desk at work. His favorite are the lemon and chili Blue Diamond kind, but they only sell them at one place around here and they are usually quite pricey for a small can. BGE thought he could get the flavored almonds cheaper online, but they were about the same price…plus shipping. But he did come across some Blue Diamond buffalo almonds, which I figured would be easy to make at home. And they were.
These are wonderful, protein-filled snack. The flax was added to help the buffalo sauce stick to the nuts, but is also adds fiber. Hurrah fiber!
Easy Buffalo Spiced Almonds
- 1 cup of raw, unsalted almonds
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne (i promise this is not a typo)
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- Preheat the oven to 325°
- Mix the buffalo sauce with the cayenne, salt, and garlic powder. Then add in the flax meal and let it sit for a minute.
- Pour your buffalo-flax mixture over the nuts and stir until all nuts are evenly coated.
- Spread in a singe layer on a non-stick silicone baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, stir the nuts, and then bake for 10-15 for minutes. You may want to have the oven fan on while baking because the spice fumes are noticeable.
- Allow to cool before serving.
I used the plain buffalo sauce, not the extra hot kind. I don't know how the extra hot kind would taste with the added cayenne.
adapted from Dinner With Julie