I never know if folks prefer to call it a berry crumble or a berry crisp. What’s your fave? Well, no matter the name, this berry crisp/berry crumble is deliciously addictive. It’s gluten free and vegan and perfect for the sweet dawn of summertime.
I am a summer girl, through and through. I don’t know how or when this happened, since I definitely used to hate the drowning summer heat, aching for the pleasant cool of fall. What’s your favorite season?
There are so many things I love about summer, but one of my favorite parts is definitely the produce. It just all tastes so much better. Come every fall, I tell myself that I will not eat another tomato until summer comes again, but every year I neglect that promise. I guess out of season tomatoes are better than no tomatoes at all.
I do have a small inner conflict when it comes to summer fruit, though. Should I devour it whole, relishing the juice on my chin? The small flecks of juice on a faded cotton tee? Or should I bake with it? Pouring sugar and love over it all, flecks of fat in buried among the dark fruits?
Usually I just end up eating the fresh stuff, and relying on frozen supermarket fruit to bake with. The fresh stuff just tastes to good to consume in an altered state.
Disclaimer — watch me literally eat my words later this summer when I decide to plunge peaches into a pie or something.
Anyways, I used frozen fruit for this crumble and it came out awesome. It took all my self control not to eat the whole thing over the counter, although I shamelessly ate it for dinner that night.
It’s super simple to make, too. All you do is toss some blackberries and blueberries and cherries together with a little sugar and dump it all into a 2 quart baking dish. Then you whisk up a handful of classic crumble/crisp ingredients and sprinkle them all over the fruit. Make sure some of it falls into the crannies between the fruit, because that part is extra delicious. Dot it all over with solid coconut oil and bake it up.
It comes out of the oven all bubbly at the edges and golden in the middle and smelling fantastic. The juices are obviously gonna be super hot, so you’re gonna want to let it sit for a bit before you plunge in.
Trust me, it’s worth the wait.
this post contains affiliate links. purchasing through them helps support a lunkish husband and a mischievous cat. thank you!
Cherry Berry Crumble/Cherry Berry Crisp
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup of GF flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 3/4 tbsp lemon zest, grated on a microplane
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, solid state
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb frozen blackberries
- 1/2 lb frozen cherries
- 1/2 lb frozen blueberries
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350
- Toss cherries and berries together with the white sugar and then place in a 2-quart ceramic or glass baking dish
- Whisk together the sugar, oats, flour, lemon zest, cinnamon, and salt.
- Sprinkle oat mix liberally over top of the fruit, making sure that it fills in all the nooks between the cherry/berry mixture.
- Cut of the coconut oil and dot it all over the top of the crumble/crisp
- Bake for 35-40 min
- Turn on the broiler, move dish up one rack, and broil for 4-5 min
- Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly before enjoying. I wouldn’t want y’all to burn yourselves on the hot juice. I personally thought it tasted better when it was completely cooled room temperature.
crumb somewhat adapted from cookies and cups