These delicious vegan breakfast cookies are just like a bowl of oatmeal, minus the spoon. They are gluten free (not that you’d miss a thing) and perfect for a grab and go breakfast.
I used to be a barista, which meant I’d be up and out of the house way before Jason’s first alarm even went off, which in turn meant relieving myself of any responsibility of feeding him in the morning.
Now that he’s the one that’s up first, I feel really guilty if he goes off to work on an empty belly. Call it ingrained patriarchy, call it leftover Catholic guilt, call it pathological need to feed. Let’s not dwell on the reasons, however anachronistic they might be.
The thing is….as much as I like cooking…..I kind of hate making weekday breakfasts. I went through a phase of make-and-freeze smoothies for him, but they crowded the fridge. Then they either refused to defrost all the way, or did that emulsion-separation thing where there would be a bunch of veg gunk on the bottom and watery stuff on top.
I also went through a phase of just leaving a pack of blueberry pop-tarts on the counter. Sleepily constructed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that squirted strawberry jam onto his work pants. Overpriced Nutriclifflunamyoplex bars.
The dregs of a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
I’ve finally landed on a solution that we both love. Bowl-o-oatmeal breakfast cookies. I like them because they’re easy and cheap and delicious and can be made in bulk at the beginning of the week. He likes them because they’re delicious (duh) and can be easily eaten one-handed while driving. Not that I recommend distracted driving. But speaking realistically…..💁
Anyways, these are awesome. They are full of mostly healthy things. If you really want to, you can omit the chocolate chips and use more dried cranberries instead. But where’s the fun that, yeah? If you are not feeling the cookies at all, you can also check out these amaaaazing oat, yogurt, and blueberry jam popsicles from Foodal. Veganize them with your favorite non-dairy yogurt. And if savory breakfast is your thing, you absolutely MUST make a batch of these freezer-friendly tofu breakfast burritos.
Who’s turn is it to make the coffee? Not it!
Bowl of Oatmeal Healthy Hearty Breakfast Cookies (gluten free and vegan!)
- 1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 banana
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup of aquafaba (chickpea water)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350
- Smash up the banana and mix it with the aquafaba
- Stir in the peanut butter, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder
- Stir in the oats, cranberries, pepitas, and chocolate chips
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment and use scoop out the mix onto the sheet (use an ice cream scoop)
- Lightly flatten the scooped out mounds into disks
- Bake for 16 minutes. Allow to cool before picking up off the sheet, or else they might fall apart
- Serve with love and glass of icy cold almond milk