Cotton Candy. Ice Cream. Booze. Are you ready for the best 4th of July ever?
I’m so in love with this milkshake that I don’t even care that it’s my third less-than-healthy post in a row. My next few posts are a lot more wholesome, I promise.
I love it because it’s made of fair food, and because of the firework-themed colors, and because it’s fun to make, and OH, of course….because it tastes awesome.
I know that I’m supposed to be posting red-white-and-blue desserts. I wanted to. But then I thought of this and realized that it’s just as Fourth-of-July-y (that’s a real adjective, I just made it up) as any RWB food you got. Like I said, it’s made of fair food, and who doesn’t love a Fourth of July fair? And um, it totally looks like bombs bursting in air, doesn’t it?
I decided to call this a magic milkshake because when I was a kid, I totally thought cotton candy was magic. I mean, I knew it wasn’t actually magic, but I was fascinated by the fact that you could take simple sugar crystals and spin them into something so pale and fluffy. And I loved how those wispy strands just dissolved the moment they came in contact with my tongue.
Those wispy strands also dissolve the moment they come in contact with vodka.
You absolutely must use whipped cream vodka in this, and no other vodka. You wouldn’t use tequila in an old fashioned, would you? Then please please don’t use non-whipped cream vodka in this. Well, no, I take that back. If you can’t find whipped cream vodka, toasted marshmallow or vanilla would probably do.
If you want, you can make a big pitcher of this in advance, but that wouldn’t be as fun. Set up a little bar so your guests can make their own. And then garnish with more fluffy stuff, obs.
Just a few notes:
- if you’re not going to a fair, you can find big bags of colorful cotton candy at Party City.
- the recipe, as written, serves just one. I wrote it this way so it could be easily multiplied to the size of your party/gathering/whatever
- the recipe calls for 3 oz of vodka, which is essentially two shots. Just if you like to keep track of how much you’ve consumed.
- 1/3 cup vanilla bean ice cream
- softball-sized boll of cotton candy
- 3 oz of whipped cream vodka
- Scoop the ice cream into the serving glass and top with the cotton candy.
- Slowly pour the vodka over the cotton candy, until completely dissolved.
- Give it a quick stir and garnish with more cotton candy if desired.
- Serve with love.