It’s apple time!
I’m sure you’ve been seeing lots of apple donut recipes lately. There’ s a reason for that, you know. Apple donuts are classic. One of the things defines a classic (recipe, song, outfit, story et al) is that you can spin it many different ways and yet it remains timeless.
These are made with oat flour and fresh apple sauce and dates. I’m in love with the apple glaze here — sweet and sticky, a perfect compliment to the gentle walnut crunch.
I’m including the apple sauce recipe, not because I think you’re a moron who doesn’t know how to make apple sauce. I know you can make sauce. But everyone’s ideal apple sauce is different – I normally like mine spicy and chunky, eaten cold with yogurt – so I’m just sharing what works best for this particular donut.
Apple Glazed Apple Donuts
- apple sauce
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, & sliced
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 dates
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- glaze and topping
- 2 1/2 tbsp applesauce
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- small handful of chopped walnuts
for the apple sauce
- Place the apples in a small saucepan with about an inch of water. Cover and cook over medium heat 16-18 minutes. Stir the sauce and turn off the heat. Allow to sit, covered, for about 18 more minutes. Remove from burner and puree till smooth. Allow to sauce too cool before continuing. The sauce can be made a few days beforehand, if you like.
for the dohnuts
- Grind the oats to a smooth and silky flour and set aside
- Place the dates in a small bowl, and cover with 1/3 cup water. Microwave 3-4 minutes. Do not drain the remaining water. Puree to a paste. Set aside.
- Combine the oat flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.
- Combine the apple sauce, almond milk, vanilla, and date paste.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Divide the batter evenly in a 6-ring donut pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
for the glaze
- Combine the apple sauce, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Lay the top of the donut down in the glaze to coat it. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Enjoy