I don’t even know where to begin with these healthy, vegan, gluten-free, simply amazing carrot cake bars.
Well, maybe I did know where to begin — adjective-palooza.
But they really are all those things and more. Did I mention they’re satisfying? That they smell so good when they’re in the oven?
And the texture is kinda magic. On the first day that you make them, they come out silky, like pumpkin pie. And then after that, they deepen into a soft fudge. I’ve been eating them at breakfast, which is a super incentive to get outta bed. Aka, I hit only hit the snooze button 14 times instead of 17 times.
If you’re a snooze button addict and your husband/girlfriend/corgi puppy resents you for it, this may be the solution to all your relationship problems.
Though they’re not completely guilt-free ( I got kinda happy with the maple syrup), they’re full of bananas, carrots, chickpeas, and oatmeal.
I kind of want to talk about them some more, but I also want to get to bed. So this post is a little bit on the short side. Sorry. Only not really because the time you save blog-reading is time you can spend making carrot cake bars instead.
- 2 medium bananas
- 6 oz worth of carrots*
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup of chickpeas
- 3/4 cup of rolled oats, ground to fine flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a few nuts or pumpkin seeds, for color
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a 4x8 loaf pan with parchment paper
- Blend up the bananas, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt.
- Add the carrots one by one (or all at once, if you have a more powerful blender than I do)
- Add the chickpeas and then the oat flour and blend again.
- Manually stir in the baking powder.
- Spread batter into the pan. Make designs on the top of the batter with a fork (don't skip this because you're essentially scoring the batter, which helps with even baking)
- Sprinkle some seeds over top if you want.
- Bake for 45 minutes. A tester inserted into the center might still have wet crumbs, but that's fine. Allow bars to cool completely before cutting.
- Makes 8 bars, serve with love.
* 6 oz of carrots = 3 larger fresh carrots, or about 5-6 smaller carrots.